In 1948, two first cousins, Jack Hemmer and Tom Mirgon,
formed a partnership to create a restaurant business specializing in
homemade ice cream products. With only four tables and counter seating
for seven, they opened a small business on Linden Avenue in Zanesville , Ohio.
Jack Hemmer Ice Cream soon outgrew its original location, and
in October 1950 they moved their restaurant to its present location at
532 McIntire Ave.
In 1953, Tom bought Jack's interest in the business, leaving his own career with the
Pure Oil Company, to own and operate the restaurant full-time. In 1957 it became known as
Tom's Ice Cream Bowl.
Tom contributed the success of his business to the quality and generous portions of
food and ice cream he served, to the personal customer service of his past and present employees,
and to all those special people who frequented his restaurant.
On April 1, 1984, Tom retired at the age of 69 and sold Tom's Ice Cream Bowl
to Bill Sullivan (pictured), his former manager.
Bill has pledged to maintain the fine quality, cleanliness and excellent service
created by Tom; and as a tribute to the many years of Tom's hard work, to never change the
name of Tom's Ice Cream Bowl.
Tom's Ice Cream Bowl has been a tradition in Zanesville, Ohio since 1948. Stop in today and taste some local history for yourself!